Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Way of the Wayward

Jacob! At the moment we read "the children struggled" in Gen 25:22 we are introduced to his character. The drama unfolds from the very beginning. At his birth, he was holding onto Esau's heel. So, he garnered the name "Jacob" which means "heel catcher," "supplanter," "trickster."

He is a man of industry, of endurance. He is also a man who deceives and connives his way through his days. A man filled with wayward energy.

Self-advancement colored his early years.
Jacob grabbed the family birthright. He swindled his brother when his brother had no food. (25:31)
Jacob lied to get the family blessing. He deceived his father when his father could not see. (27:24)
Jacob finagled Laban to get strong sheep. He developed an involved and deceptive plan to increase his flocks at the expense of Laban's. (30:42)

Self-pity colored his later years.
"You have brought trouble on me by making me odious . . they will gather together against me and attack me and I shall be destroyed, I and my household." (34:30)
he refused to be comforted. And he said, "Surely I will go down to Sheol in mourning for my son." (37:35)
"all these things are against me." (42:36)
"then you will bring my gray hair down to Sheol in sorrow." (42:38)
"And as for me, if I am bereaved of my children, I am bereaved." (43:14)
"few and unpleasant have been the years of my life" (47:9)

So much self -

How can a man like this be loved so much of God?
How can a man like this be the father of a nation?
How can a man like this play such a prominent role for God?


Exactly!

(Thank you Lord)